Kalaeloa Beach, aka White Plains, is a great place to learn how to surf. With a military ID, you can rent a board for $5/hr and with a good guide, learn to surf in minutes! Just remember to get the biggest board possible as a beginner and you'll be fine :). Here are the directions to White Plains beach.
1. H-1 West to Kapolei Exit #2
2. LEFT turn going South on Fort Barrette Ave, pass the hospital (right) and school (left)
3. LEFT on Roosevelt Rd, immediately after the abandoned guard shack
4. RIGHT on Coral Sea Rd, fourth RIGHT
5. LEFT on Tripoli St, past the airport on the right--look for the sign to the Shore Shack
6. Park and surf!